Your vehicle title is THE most important document associated with your car or truck. It states who legally owns the vehicle. Vehicle title laws vary from state to state, so you’ll need to know your local rules. Obtaining a vehicle title can be confusing. Luckily, when you buy from a reputable dealership, like Rockie Williams Premier, we handle the registration and titling for you.
Here’s what you need to know about obtaining a vehicle title:
1. When will I receive my vehicle title?
- You can expect to leave the dealership with a receipt of registration and a copy of the title application — even if you pay cash.
- When you finance a vehicle, it is titled to you, but also lists the lender’s name and address, and THEY hold the title.
- You will receive the official title document from your lienholder only AFTER you have paid off the vehicle. After you make your final payment, your lender will make sure there are no additional liens against the vehicle before sending you the title.
2. How long does it take?
- After you make your last payment, you should expect to receive your title FROM THE LENDER within 45 business days (6 weeks).
- Even if you pay cash for your vehicle, it can take up to 45 business days (6 weeks) to obtain your title FROM THE STATE.
3. Where should I keep my title?
- Keep your vehicle title in a safe place – NOT in your vehicle’s glovebox. Use a safe deposit box at a bank or fireproof safe at your home, instead.
- If you lose your title, you can apply for a replacement from the state for a small fee.
4. What if I move or change my name?
- If you move, make sure to renew your vehicle registration at the proper address. If you change your name as a result of marriage or divorce, you will also need to renew your registration. You will also need to notify your lender to update your documents.
5. Other considerations can add time to the process.
- When paying by check, we wait 10 business days before we submit your title documentation to the state.
- While we gather and submit your documentation, we don’t process it. Your local County Clerk will process all lien documentation and title release documents for your state.
- Be sure to complete all the necessary paperwork and follow the specified process to avoid delays.
We hope this helps answer some of the questions you may have regarding obtaining a vehicle title. Managing the vehicle registration and titling process is what we do every day. We understand the importance of getting vehicle titles into owners’ hands as quickly as possible and we want to make the process as efficient and hassle-free as possible.
We’re here to serve you. Our vehicle title clerks work diligently to properly register and title every vehicle purchased at Rockie Williams Premier.
If you are considering purchasing a vehicle soon, we’d love the opportunity to assist you.